OUR MISSION & WORK
Curious City believes fiercely that children need books and stories to grow into imaginative, empathetic and curious citizens. We believe that librarians, educators, parents, literacy specialists, and others need your books as tools of youth engagement. Curious City devises unique marketing projects that facilitate the discovery of books and the crucial engagement of readers.
Curious City has no set marketing plans for authors, illustrators, or publishers. Each unique project is designed around the book’s content and the creator’s budget. Many of the projects become free reader engagement tools available at Curious City DPW.
Most of our projects look to longterm relationships with your readers and their gatekeepers and not to the immediacy of a publicity or PR. We will help you with press and appearances where it is relevant, but that is not our primary focus.
Explore who Curious City is here.
WORKING WITH CURIOUS CITY
1) When to Get Started. There is no bad time to start. We have been booked for projects 2 years before publication and 10 years after. Ideally, though, we would like to see your middle grade or YA (fiction or non) by the final round of edits and picture books as soon as illustrations/design are (even roughly) in place.
2) The Read. We read your book before we have any conversations about marketing your title. Asking about what we will do for your book before we read is like asking us to describe a landscape that we have not yet visited.
3) Send the Book. We will look at your book in any form. PDF works beautifully as we read manuscripts on the iPad most readily. Our email is email@example.com and our mailing address is Curious City | 8A Merrill Street | Portland, ME 04101.
4) Post-Read Email. We will be in touch via email to schedule a call (or a face-to-face when possible) as soon as we finish your book. We never mind a check-in to see where your book is in the “to read” pile.
5) Brainstorm Call. Kirsten Cappy will spend 45 minutes to an hour with you sharing our ideas, listening to your ideas, finding out what you are comfortable doing and what your marketing connections might be. This will be a non-linear conversation. Kirsten thinks best in conversation not in quiet contemplation.
Fee: This call costs $125 and will be billed via PayPal.
6) Proposal. We will create a marketing proposal based on our initial conversation. That proposal will include fees to complete the suggested projects with Curious City. This will be a proposal you can share with your agent, editor, illustrator or anyone on your book team. These ideas are now your ideas to use as you see fit.
Fee: This proposal will cost $125 if you choose to not hire Curious City for the projects. It will be billed via PayPal . If you plan to work with us, this second fee is waived.
7) Proposal Conversation. Want to work with us? We will schedule another call to go over the proposal. In that conversation we will decide which projects we will do and in what order. We respect the skills of others. If there is a part of the project you want to farm out to yourself or another talented creature on your team, we would be delighted to share the to-do’s!
8) Work Plan. From the proposal conversation, we will create a spreadsheet of goals, tasks, and target dates.
9) Scheduling. Curious City is a small group working on multiple books at one time. We will work closely with you to determine the release of stages of your marketing.
10) Billing. Curious City asks for up to 50% of a project’s fees up front. This will be billed via PayPal. The remainder will be billed upon completion by the same means.
Call Kirsten Cappy at Curious City 207-420-1126 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.
We look forward to working with you!!